So, just came back from having dinner with my sick, old Grandpa. It's kinda sad, so hopefully it won't come up again.
The Rundown...
He was diagnosed with congestive heart failure(CHF), last year. Was in and out of the hospital for about 2/3 of the year. He beat the odds of survival against his CHF, but in turn, his kidneys failed and is now been on dialysis for most of 2013. Around this time last year, my family thought that he'd probably only last another year. And, here we are, and there he is. Still fucken going! NuckenFutz!
Anyhoo.... I happen to be the one that lives and works closest to him. So, recently I started to have lunch with him during my lunch breaks, about once a week or so. (Note: I'm not a douchebag of a granddaughter, I never grew up having a close relationship with him.) I could say that I'm closer to him now than I ever have been in the 28 1/2yrs of my life before all this shit.
Okay, so the point of my story is that I had lunch with my grandpa one Wednesday, October 30, the night I was leaving for Vegas. I had to tell him that I was having lunch with him because I wasn't going to be in town for his birthday, Nov.2. He looked so sad, but only for a moment. To make it up to him, I promised that we could have dinner when I returned from my trip. Today was that dinner. It's cute, it's cute because I bring him and his caregiver like "special treats" for meals. Pretty much, whatever he's in the mood for, that's what we're gonna eat. Last week he told me he wanted Mexican, so tonight My girlfriend, Jennifer and myself brought over some Don Cuco's,(Located around Burbank/Toluca Lake.) Our stay was short, but sweet and everyone enjoyed each other's company. Yay! Now, today is going to be Witchey Whiskey Wednesday. My Bestie needs a hug and friend. Loving and being loved is AWESOME. Thank you! (= dee =)
You are a wonderful grandaughter! I cared for my grandmother for 9 years, so I understand.
ReplyDeleteThank you! I try to be present when I can be.
ReplyDelete