Monday, October 7, 2013

Blog topic: Sodium Lauryl Sulfate

Reading up on this chemical and it appears that it's one of those things that seem impossible to get away from or avoid. It's in the majority of cosmetics, household products, shampoos, toothpastes, body wash and cleansers. Another chemical that is very similar to sodium lauryl sulfate(SLS) is sodium laureth sulfate(SLES) and widely used just the same. Sodium lauryl sulfate has many other ways that it's labeled chemically which would also make it difficult for consumers to try to identify it when reading through labels.

The FDA doesn't believe this chemical to be hazardous at low levels but, SLS/SLES is often contaminated by chemicals that are considered to be carcinogenic. It's know as a skin irritant which is kind of mind blowing since it's in products that are for your skin or that your skin would constantly be in contact with. What I think is more mind blowing is that in a laboratory setting it is used to disrupt bonds in proteins when dealing with DNA testing. So, it makes sense that it irritates the skin since it's weakening the bond in your skin cells.

I'm glad to be informed and aware of this subject but, after all the information I found, I feel like I'm a consumer stuck between a rock and a hard place. At least I can try to be a more conscious buyer in a world of lies and half truths set up by the FDA.

1 comment: